If you find yourself with a temporary mobility issue, and you are having difficulty entering or exiting your home, it may be a good idea to rent a wheelchair ramp. That’s right, aluminum modular wheelchair ramps are often available for short-term rental.
Some situations where a rental ramp would be appropriate include:
- You need a ramp to temporally accommodate a house guest with limited mobility.
- It is a short-term rehabilitation situation. The user was injured or is recovering from surgery, but full mobility is expected to return in 6 months or less.
- End-of-life or hospice situation. A patient’s prognosis is such that he/she will not be with you for many more months.
- You are a renter or in transitional housing. Landlords often do not want to bear the expense of a purchasing or permanently installing a ramp. A rental can be a feasible solution.
- A ramp is needed for a special event such as a wedding or graduation or party.
The cost of your rental ramp will vary based on size and configuration, but at Lifeway Mobility, a 30-foot ramp with one 4’ x 4’ landing will typically cost about $331/month with an additional one-time fee of $1,272 for delivery, installation and removal. This would accommodate a rise of 3 to 4 feet.
If your situation is unclear and you are not sure if you’ll need the ramp for more than 6 months, ask if your ramp provider offers a rent-to-own option. With this option, a portion of your monthly rental payment goes toward the ramp’s purchase price should you decide to keep it permanently.